Thursday, September 3, 2015

Am I Too Old To Be A Swiftie?

I recently turned 23, this past Friday to be exact, and I was faced with the startling realization that I can no longer properly jam out to Taylor Swift's "22." Which led me to this internal crisis: Am I too old to be a Swiftie? Is 23 truly the age when one must learn to grow up and stop listening to pop stars worshipped by teenaged girls? I am certainly no longer a teenager, and Taylor herself is 25, but let's be real, her fan base consists mostly of girls between the ages of 11-16 (rough estimate).

 photo taylor-swift-reaction-face-6_zpstxcqop8g.gif

I haven't always been a Taylor Swift fan. I listened to her a little in high school, but at some point stopped. I guess I thought she was too "mainstream," or maybe it was due to people making her this big joke, like "Don't dump Taylor, she'll write a hit song about it." It became "uncool" to be a Taylor Swift fan and I certainly couldn't afford to lose any cool points. I became embarrassed to admit that I ever owned her first two albums, until about a year ago. I got this random urge to listen to Taylor Swift, which led to downloading even more Taylor Swift, which led to me downloading "1989" the morning it was released before even stepping foot out of bed.

Before I knew it, I became a full blown Swiftie, following her on every form of social media, dreaming about one day being a part of her "squad." I mean, Taylor Swift is basically the ideal BFF.

 photo Taylorgifs_03_0_zpsadje9vwt.gif

She's sweet, sassy, fashion savvy, funny, kinda weird, and really just so...human. Have I mentioned that she named her cats after television show characters? Meet Doctor Meredith Grey and Detective Olivia Benson:

 photo 6357388452303069831427387697_giphy_zpsqzxlqmrf.gif

She also has a song for just about any mood you might be in, or any situation you may have been through or are going through.
I'll list some examples: when you're ~crushin~ so hard you can't feel your face (Sparks Fly, Our Song), when the haters just hate, hate, hate, but you keep dancing anyway (Shake It Off), when you've finally ended a toxic friendship (Bad Blood), when you've finally ended a toxic relationship (We Are Never Getting Back Together, Picture To Burn), the moment you realize you are finally over that person who has been consuming your thoughts for months (Clean), when you're feeling so thankful for your perfect, loving mom (The Best Day), when you realize you just might be ~in love~ (You Are In Love), and a plethora of songs for when you just need a good cry.

 photo giphy_zpsxvfuk4zm.gif

So, am I too old to be a Swiftie? The conclusion that I came to is no. You are never too old to be a Swiftie. Sure, people may judge you, but haters gonna hate, hate, hate so ~shake it off~ because that's what Queen Tay would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment